Who are eCommerce developers?
eCommerce developers are website makers who create online stores for their clients. An online store can allow businesses to sell their products & services online. So, if you want to sell products or services online, an eCommerce developer can assist you to build your online shop. While most people think that eCommerce developers can create only online shops, there are many other projects an eCommerce developer can work on.
Types of eCommerce websites
In this blog post, I have shared 7 types of websites that an eCommerce developer can create for you.
Let’s dive in!
#1 Standard online store
This is the most common type of eCommerce website that an eCommerce builder can create for you.
eCommerce developers can create an online shop for you where you can showcase and sell your products or services, manage inventory, process payments, fulfill orders, create discount coupons, and receive payments online.
Below are some basic features of an online store that your eCommerce developer can provide you with:
- Product listings with descriptions and images.
- Secure payment processing for transactions.
- Shopping cart functionality for easy checkout.
- Integration with shipping providers for order fulfillment.
- User-friendly interface for smooth navigation.
- Search and filtering options for product discovery.
- Customer reviews and ratings for product feedback.
- Option for customers to create accounts for convenience.
- Order tracking and status updates for customers.
- Basic inventory management for stock control.
- Contact information and customer support.
- Integration with email marketing for customer communication.
- Mobile responsiveness for on-the-go shopping.
- Secure and confidential customer information.
- Option to offer discounts or promotional codes.
- Multiple payment options for customer convenience.
- Integration with social media platforms for wider reach.
- Analytics and reporting tools to track sales and performance.
A marketplace is a platform where people can buy & sell items. A marketplace allows users to sign up, create their profiles, and publish their products or services for the customers to buy them. Unlike a basic online store, the marketplace usually contains dozens of product categories and thousands of products. A professional eCommerce developer can build a marketplace for you so that you can encourage users to sign up and start selling their products.
Here are some essential features that a marketplace store should have:
- Wide range of products available from various sellers.
- Seller profiles and ratings for transparency and trust.
- Secure payment processing for seamless transactions.
- Product listings with detailed descriptions and images.
- Search and filtering options for easy product discovery.
- Customer reviews and ratings for informed purchasing decisions.
- Integration with shipping and logistics services for order fulfillment.
- Option for sellers to manage their own inventory and pricing.
- Ability to compare prices and offerings from different sellers.
- Customer support for inquiries and issue resolution.
- User-friendly interface for smooth navigation and browsing.
- Seller verification and validation processes for trustworthiness.
- Rating and feedback system to promote seller accountability.
- Marketing and promotional opportunities for sellers.
- Support for different currencies and international sales.
- Secure and confidential buyer and seller information.
#3 Digital products store
An eCommerce website doesn’t sell only physical products. You can also sell digital products such as software, eBooks, etc. A digital products store helps business owners to sell digital products across the globe without worrying about maintaining any warehouse or shipping/delivery charges. The order fulfillment on digital products stores is usually done online only. An experienced eCommerce developer can help you to build an online store to sell digital products.
Below are the features that your eCommerce developer can provide you with:
- Secure file hosting and download capabilities.
- Accessible across various devices for convenience.
- Integration with payment gateways for seamless transactions.
- Ability to offer free or trial versions of digital products.
- Customizable product descriptions and pricing options.
- Support for different file formats, such as PDF, MP3, or ZIP.
- Option to provide updates or additional content to customers.
- User-friendly interface for easy browsing and purchasing.
- Ability to offer bundled products or product packages.
- Option to provide customer support or documentation.
- Integration with email marketing platforms for customer communication.
- Affiliate program capabilities for marketing and promotions.
- Ability to offer digital product previews or samples.
#4 Subscription-based websites
If you want to offer subscription-based products such as magazines, monthly groceries, etc., you can hire a professional website developer to build a subscription-based eCommerce store.
An eCommerce developer can build a subscription-based website with the below features:
- Multiple membership levels or tiers for different customer needs.
- Recurring billing for automatic and regular subscription payments.
- Exclusive content or services accessible only to subscribed members.
- Member accounts and profiles for managing subscriptions and personal information.
- Subscription management and upgrade features for users to modify their subscriptions.
- Automated notifications and renewals for seamless subscription management.
- Flexible pricing plans to accommodate various budgets and preferences.
- Secure payment processing to ensure safe and reliable transactions.
- Cancellation and refund policies for transparency and customer satisfaction.
#5 Booking-based websites
There is another type of eCommerce website “booking-based website” that allows business owners to offer their services that users can book online. Some of the best examples of a booking-based eCommerce website are medical appointment booking, spa/salon appointment booking, consultation booking, office booking, etc. A professional eCommerce developer can also create a website where you can allow users to book & pay online.
Below are some of the mandatory features of a booking-based website:
- User-friendly interface for easy booking and navigation.
- Booking calendar displaying availability and options.
- Secure payment processing for seamless transactions.
- Real-time updates to ensure accurate availability of information.
- Customizable booking forms to capture necessary details.
- Confirmation notifications for booking success.
- Integration with external calendars for efficient scheduling.
- Multiple booking options such as time slots or durations.
- Ability to manage and modify bookings easily.
- Customizable cancellation and refund policies.
- Support for multiple languages or international bookings.
- Detailed booking history and customer management.
- Support for multiple locations or venues.
- Mobile responsiveness for on-the-go bookings.
- Social sharing options to promote bookings and events.
#6 Dropshipping websites
A dropshipping eCommerce store is an online business model where the store owner doesn’t have to worry about the stock because they simply arrange to deliver the products from their principal suppliers only when any user confirms the order. You can find many eCommerce developers in Singapore who can help you to build a profitable dropshipping store.
There are many benefits of starting a dropshipping business such as low startup costs, the ability to sell a wide range of products without the need for storage space, etc.
Here’s why should you build a dropshipping store:
- No need to carry inventory or handle shipping logistics.
- Ability to offer a wide range of products without storage limitations.
- Low startup costs and minimal upfront investment.
- Integration with multiple suppliers to access a diverse product catalog.
- Automatic order fulfillment and shipping are handled by suppliers.
- Ability to easily add or remove products based on market demand.
- Quick and efficient product updates and pricing adjustments.
- Reduced risk of unsold inventory or outdated products.
- Scalability to handle high order volumes without additional resources.
- Opportunity to focus on marketing and customer acquisition.
- Potential for higher profit margins compared to traditional retail models.
- Minimal time and effort are required for inventory management.
- Lower financial risk as products are only purchased after customers place orders.
- Ability to test and validate new product ideas with minimal investment.
- Access to dropshipping platforms and tools for streamlined operations.
#7 Auction websites
Auction websites are a type of eCommerce portal that allows users to sell their products on an auction basis. This means that the buyers can bid on their desired products and the one with the highest bid can finally purchase that product. It’s important to hire only experienced eCommerce developers to create auction websites because they have several advanced features.
Below are some of the basic yet essential features of an auction eCommerce website:
- A platform for users to bid on items and participate in auctions.
- Ability to set bidding rules and timeframes for each auction.
- Secure payment processing for successful bids and transactions.
- Real-time updates on current bids and bid increments.
- Automatic bid notifications and outbid alerts.
- Detailed item descriptions and accompanying images.
- Seller profiles and feedback ratings for transparency and trust.
- Multiple auction formats such as standard, reserve, or buy-it-now.
- Integration with shipping and logistics services for item delivery.
- Option for auction extensions or overtime bidding.
- Ability to track and monitor bidding history and activity.
- Accessibility across various devices for convenient bidding.
- Social sharing options to expand auction reach and engagement.
- Customizable auction settings and parameters.
- Automatic winner notifications and post-auction instructions.
- Ability to manage disputes and resolve conflicts.
- Integration with payment gateways and escrow services for secure transactions.
- Support for different currencies and international bidding.